Alan Cook, who is an author of mystery suspense books, including the “Carol Golden” novels, plus “Dancing with Bulls,” a young adult book. You can read more about his work at: http://alancook.50megs.com/
Daniel E. Lambert is a teacher at several Los Angeles colleges, plus an author of poetry and short stories, collected into books which can be found on Amazon under his name
Bernadette Shih is a writer of children’s poetry and stories, which she has collected in several books; “Song of Life” and “Ling Ling, the Most Beautiful Giant Panda in the World,” plus others.
Jeri Fonté is a member of SWM whose most recent book, “Romancing the Lion,” is a memoir of her time spent in Africa.
Quiana Beco is a writer of Poetry and Prose whose most recent work is collected in a book titled “Day To Day Dealings.”
Robert Reed is your co-ordinator for this event and a multi SWM Award-winning poet and writer of memoirs about his experiences in the Coast Guard.
Carol Sperling is your current SWM President and a writer of family memoirs, plus an author of Sherlock Holmes Pastiches.
Don Abrams is a multi-instrument musician and a writer of a children’s fantasy book that teaches children how to play the piano, called “The Musical Rainbow Story,” which can be found at: http://www.themusicalrainbowstory.com/
Ian Gordon, who is also your newsletter Editor, is a writer of mystery and science fictions stories, as well as the occasional poem.
Janis Lukstein is a poet who leans toward Haiku and other esoteric forms of verse and prose. She can be found hanging around barns and corrals, conversing with her friends, the horses, while composing rhyme and reason.
Dean Okamura is a recently-joined member of SWM whom we have great expectations for. Come and hear him and the others read for you.
Future SWM Meeting Times & Dates for 2018
Dec 2018 – Hol. Party-TBD
Jan 5, 2019: Beth Whittenbury –
Feb. 2, 2019 – TBD
Mar. 2, 2019 – TBD
Poetry Contest Winners
Announced at the November Meeting!
Edith Battles Nonfiction Article Contest
Deadline: March, 2019 SWM meeting
Contest Chair: Barbra Simpson
SWM Contest Rules:
1. Contest is limited to SWM members only.
2. Four dollars non-refundable fee for each entry. Cash or check OK. One check can cover multiple entries. Make check payable to Southwest Manuscripters and bring to the meeting or send to the SWM Contest, 872 – Fifth Street, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
3. Maximum three entries per person. In keeping with the purpose of the SWM to encourage writers, especially new writers, only previously unpublished material is allowed. That means not seen in any medium (book, newsletter, magazine, newspaper, internet) with circulation of more than 200 readers. Rule of Thumb: If a judge may already have seen your entry, it is ineligible.
4. Print four (4) copies of your entries, one per each judge. Must be double-spaced… but single-sided, with an easy-to-read typeface, and legible. If the entry can’t be read, it can’t be judged. [Note: Times-Roman or Courier 12 is standard.]
5. Note word count on page one (max 2,000). Do NOT put personal info on the pages.
6. Entrant’s name may not appear anywhere on the entry. Put NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE and TITLE of entry as you would like to see them on award on a 3×5 card. You may also indicate intended market (e.g., children’s magazine, sci-fi magazine).
7. Although the contest has four judges, no judge is obliged to provide a written critique.
8. Awards will be presented at the SWM meeting in the month following the contest deadline. Winners of more than one top award will receive one certification for the highest scoring entry and honorable mention for any others. In case of a tie for a top award, each individual entrant will receive the same award.
9. Members who wish their entries to be published in The Write Stuff, may forward their entries, winning or not, after the contest, to Southwest Manuscripters, TWS Editor: email@example.com
10. Entries that do not comply with the above rules will be rejected and the entry fee will be forfeit.
Give entries, checks and cards to the Contest Chair or mail them to: SWM Contest, 872 – Fifth Street, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 or bring to the March, 2019 SWM Meeting (or before).
Do NOT mail entries to the Editor or to the SWM P.O. Box.